Sunday, March 2, 2014

Best Break-Up Ever.




It was time.

Me and Mike broke up.  I thought I would be more upset.  Maybe it hasn't hit me yet.  It's only been a week.  But it was time.  I have been training with Mike for about 3 years (?) now.  I had only been working with him maybe about a year when he was leaving the YMCA to go to Lifetime.  It was a great move for him.  But I completely panicked.  And wrote this: http://thefoodwar.blogspot.com/2012/01/bomb-is-dropped.html.  But he stuck with me, and he didn't have to.  That's the kind of coach, the kind of person he is.

I was not confident that I could do it without him.  I still held him responsible for my progress.  I hadn't yet internalized that he didn't do it.  I did it.  He was there.  He was a support.  He pushed me out of my comfort zone (ok, I'm not really ever in a comfortable zone when training with him).  He challenged me.  And probably the most important....he believed in me.  I didn't believe in myself.  For a long time.   

But I do now.  It was time to take off the training wheels.  I have been coached well.  Trained well.  I don't have all the answers yet.  I haven't completed my journey yet.  But I've learned enough to know that I got this.

Thank you Mike.

About 2 years ago at the Y not long before he left



No comments:

Post a Comment