Thursday, March 27, 2014

Not Crazy!!!

You will all be glad to know I'm not crazy!!!

So a couple of months ago now I checked in with a nutritionist about my plateau.  She did some blood work and initially thought that my thyroid was off.  I had shown her my previous blood work and explained how every traditional doctor I had consulted with had told me I was fine.  But I didn't feel fine.  *Side note: Do you know how enfuriating it is to have someone tell you you're fine when you feel like shit?*  My thyroid numbers have always fallen into the median ranges, but on the very low end, and so most traditional doctors have said the dreaded "You're fine" to me more times then I can count.

After this experience it's possible I will never go traditional medicine again.  Unless someone has something broken.  Then you, the surgeon, can fix it.  But seriously, I can't believe how poorly doctors listen to you.  Well this nutritionist listened to me.  And then started digging.  Retook my blood work.  And surprise (!), she doesn't think my thyroid is functioning optimally.  But not because I have a thyroid disorder.  Most likely because I have a hormonal imbalance.

I'm going to give my husband a moment to laugh.

Done honey?  Yep, it's true.  My estrogen is threw the roof and my progesterone is in the basement.  She was staggered by the ratio and said it was the biggest gap she has seen.  This explains how irritable I am, how emotional I get.  How absolutely exhausted I am.  Some of you may or may not know this but I have taken a nap every day for the past couple of years.  Not because I am a stay at home mom and that's some perk of the job I get.  But because if I don't sleep I will become an all out crazy person and I can't function.  So there's that.

But she recommended some supplements and I took them.  Immediately.  And I can't even tell you how much better I feel.  I feel even.  I feel like I have energy.  I am only napping occasionally.  And I am not irrationally irritable.  At all.  Bob commented that I seem way more even.  I'm less volatile.  I haven't noticed any extra weight loss just yet (the nutritionist is now looking at My Fitness Pal journal....not anxiety producing at all) but it almost doesn't even matter.  I feel that good.

I feel....fine.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, I've just found your blog and I love it. I've subscribed. Looking forward to more,

    ReplyDelete