Tuesday, May 15, 2012

5K anyone?

Last year I ran a 5K with Andrea (Mike's wife). It was horrible. I technically made it but stopped at least 4 different times around the lake. Her children beat me. By a lot.

I have done some running with Mike off and on.  I have crappy knees so pavement running isn't my favorite. Ok, no running is my favorite. But lately I have been realizing that I am enjoying it more.  My knees only hurt if I do it too many days in a row, I can go longer, and I'm not gasping for air and embarrassed by my performance.  I can actually see why some people do this.

Last week I ran 2 miles on the treadmill, which last summer was the furthest I had ever done.  I haven't even attempted to run longer then that.  And I only did that because it was homework.  And I'm an oldest child so i follow the rules when they are given to me.  Coach says run 2 miles, fine. I'll run 2 miles. When I got to the end of the second mile, I realized that I wasn't really all that tired.  So I decided to try going to 2.5. Made it.  Turned off the treadmill feeling very pleased with myself.  As I was walking away, I realized I still wasn't done.  I got back on that stupid thing and finished my 3.1 miles.

I did it. I ran 3 miles.

I told Mike.  Who of coarse gave me homework. (WHY do I tell him things?) My homework was to run around the lake.  The lake where I sort of ran the 5K.  The lake that has hills.  Damn it.

So Mother's Day morning, (who am I?) I decided to go for it.  And I made it! And I beat my time the previous summer by 4 minutes.

I have been doing high interval training and it' hard.  And I find myself once again feeling like I will never be able to do it.  It's too hard.  But running that 5K should do nothing but show me that when I decide to believe in myself I am capable of anything.


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Karen! So awesome!! Even in my best shape, I've always struggled with running. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I effing HATE running. I will never be where you are with it. Good girl!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete