Tuesday, April 14, 2015

It's Been Awhile

Why have I been avoiding this?  Oh yeah, cause I feel like a failure.  Cause I parted with my trainer,  did not appreciate where I had gotten to, obsessed about figuring out why I was stuck, moved, and gained back about 15-20 of the 60 I lost.  Which doesn't sound like a lot.  But it is.  For me it is.  My shorts for summer don't fit as of right now and I'm battling some demons I thought I had defeated.  So I stopped putting myself out there.  I was ashamed.  I felt like I had failed at something I had worked so hard on and gotten a lot of encouragement for.

I hid.

I forgot why I do this blog.  It is to process through all my crap.  I make it public because maybe someone else has crap and it helps them process through theirs.  And I need the support from people who love me.  I have lost 6 pounds of that 20 I gained.  By doing what I know to do. Lots of lean protein and veggie packed smoothies and training.  Mike training.  And I was feeling pretty confident that by summer I was going to be back where I was.

And then I hurt myself.  Badly.  My knee dislocated while on a rock wall.  Well, ok,  I didn't stay on the rock wall.  And I knew it was bad.  I lay there in the pit for several minutes not moving in an absolute panic because I knew it was bad.  I was so scared of it being bad.  I knew what was in front of me.  Work.  The Urgent Care x-ray showed no tears.  So it all could have been worse.  I'm on week 4 and just now walking without a brace.  But my muscles are so weak.  I stand on one leg and it shakes.  In some dark moments I have almost cracked.  Because I was doing 10- 1 minute hill sprint intervals, 24 inch box jumps, and working on my pull up progression.  I had recently reached out to Mike to ask him for a new challenge.  Pistol squats.  I felt strong.  And now I don't.  Now I am back to walking on the treadmill, leg lifts and balancing to strengthen all of those muscles again.  I'm trying to be humble.  Shit happens for a reason right?  Maybe I needed to start over for some reason.

I have been focused.  Determined.  Doing what I can when I can and listening to my body.  I'm too old to mess around with knees now.  In the past I would have barreled ahead.  But I'm taking it slow.  Trying to be smart.  Progressing when and how I can.  For the first couple of weeks I only did arm work where I did not have to put any weight on it at all.  Now I'm trying to incorporate some mobility back into it.  I did squats yesterday with some light weight and it was sore all day today.  So I didn't go to the gym.  I rested.

But I hit a bit of an emotional wall today.  Full blown panic.  How am I going to lose the last 14 pounds before summer so I can feel confident in my shorts again without being able to train?  Really train?!

So I'm back to this blog.  It helped me work through my shit before.  It may annoy some people.  For that I'm sorry.  Block me, do what you gotta do.  But I'm gonna do what I gotta do.  This has been a major set back for me.  And I have been proud of how I have dealt with all of it.  But I could use a little more help at the moment. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh Karen! I am so sorry you are struggling! Ouch!!! I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to not to be able to work out the way you want to. Some people would love an excuse to take it easy, but I know how determined you are! Ugggh! Not fair! Of course there is not a doubt in my mind that you will get back to where you want to be, but those roadblocks suck! You process away. . . I wish I had half of your focus. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete